Story of the object
Hegar dilators were developed and introduced by Alfred Hegar in 1879. They are a set of metal rods of increasing diameters, from a few millimeters up to 26 millimeters. The rods are round, slightly curved, and have a conal tip while the other end is flattened for handling. Hegar dilators are marked with a Hegar number equivalent to 0.5 millimeters. These dilators were of gynaecological use.
Item 279 (1-12). The item was donated to the Museum for the History of Medicine, AUTH, by Emeritus Prof. of Anatomy and gynaecologist Dr. Paris Xepoulias. They were used after the 1950s.