Unit 10 – From the Asylum to Care in the Community: from Paternalism to Autonomous Decision Making
University of Bristol (UK)
1. Was ‘moral treatment’ in the asylum moral?
2. Why was hysteria viewed as a disease that primarily effected women?
3. Why has ‘care in the community’ been viewed as a failure? Is it?
4. Why was it necessary to develop a legal framework for advance directives like Lasting Power of Attorney and Do Not Attempt Resuscitation orders?
5. Discuss the criticisms of advance directives. Are they fair?